Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Waitin' for our Miracles

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Deadlines & Dark Roux

Today, I (T) got a bit worked up.

(T)"Did you hear anything"
(J)"No"
(T)"No?"
(J)"Yes, no"
(T)"I'll just call them tomorrow"
(J)"I don't think the timeline said we'd get a letter or e-mail when the first application comes in."
(T)"Well, e-mail *&^%$#@! and see how long it took them to hear."

on and on and on and on....................................

I (T) am a deadline person. At work, we live and die every thirty seconds or so. Is the stock up to a simmer, is that roux ready, how is your station, are the (insert a million different plural nouns here) done........

She (J), not so much so. A class full of young ones is much more organic, less regimented, more fluid, than the timeclock I live by. Thank goodness. A counterweight to my timeclock. Thank goodness.

This waiting, looking in the mailbox, constantly checking my e-mail, looking for the postman, is a foreign thing to me. I am fairly accustomed to my world of instant gratifiaction.

How does it taste?
How does it look?
Is the dining room happy?
The comforting salinity of an Apalchicola oyster.
The crackle of cornbread against my fingertips.

This waiting. The application. The pictures (spending hours taking a thousand different pictures of our home) that I (T) believes no one will really look at. By the way, the ones you see here are the ones we sent.

I (T) have never been good at this.

Waiting.

A week into it. I'm not crazy.

Yet.

Just anxious.

I (T) like people to call me. "hey, we got it."
"Yeah, I know. I watched the tracking number on Fed-ex's website until V. )(*&^% signed for it."

Deadline met.

We still haven't shared with you all where we are adopting from.
Kazakhstan.

Why in the world would you go there?

(part of) Everything we heard:
"It's run by the mafia"
"What, Pakistan?"
"Why not China?"
"It is not an established program"
"It is more an art than a science"
"It is a crazy place"

At the end of the day, it is where our feelings lead us. It is, no doubt, a "long and winding road" (Thanks Led Zeppelin)

I (T) cannot really say, this is who, what, when, and where, that lead us to this point. I (T) can say it is where we belong.

Hoping the deadlines work out. Hoping the paperwork and everything else work out. Hoping someone somewhere takes a deadline as seriously as I (T) do.

I smell the roux. I know it is almost there.





4 comments:

GG said...

Beautiful! I also loved the pictures! ILY GG

Matthew Ruley said...

Hi I read your message on the Woods blog and found your own. I'm also a CHI waiting family. I'll follow your blog - I can send you an invite to ours just email me at ruley at tampabay.rr.com We can wait together

Susan said...

thanks for the laugh this morning. :) Your comments were cracking me up, and are all too familiar. International adoption is true test of your patience and flexibility. I hightly recommend yoga or something that can help you chill out and relax. :)
Once you start the dossier process-that is something you can control, somewhat. Soem of it was challening-mortgage companies who would not write the letter i needed, dr's license's who expire before I need them, banks who didn't want to write the letter we needed, notaries who expired too early, things like that. However, they are all doable and you can get thru them.But, the waiting is "difficult" First it was waiting on our passports, then it was being done with EVERYTHING else and waiting for our i-171h, hoping nothing expired while we waited, now it's waiting for our dosssier to get to kaz.

So, you stalk other people's blogs, get your house ready for a child, and answer the same qustion over and over from people on where is Kazakhstan and how old will your baby be and when will you go?
AND, patiently say, I DON'T KNOW, I DON'T KNOW, I DON'T KNOW. :)

Some days are better than others. This week, I have actually been patient. I am trying to find other goals to focus on so as to not obsess.
You will meet many wonderful people in this journey. You will find that other adoptive parents are incredibly supportive and helpful.

Some familes travel really quickly....5 weeks after their dossier has been submitted to Kaz, other families have been waiting several months.

When will you go? Who knows! It's all a mystery. :)

I look forward to following your journey.
You will learn to be patient. :)
it's good training anyway for a kiddo-as they require tons of patience. :)

Gretchen said...

These must be the pictures you submitted with your application- 3 rooms, one from the outside of the house, 1 couple shot (can you tell I'm around that spot now?). Well done! I'm so happy to be in contact with someone else who is sort of in the beginning stages- although you're a few steps ahead. Bravo! Keep on keeping on- and we will stay in touch!