Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Waitin' for our Miracles

Friday, December 14, 2007

A Day for Me

Today I took a day just for myself...and a little for our future children.

My monthly bookgroup meeting was last night in Birmingham. We had a great time. We play Dirty Santa at our Christmas gathering every year. I think I came out on top. After a bit of whining, Lorrin let me keep the apron that says "My bookgroup can beat up your bookgroup." How cool is that? Melody gets the prize for bringing the Dirty Santa present.

I used my bookgroup meeting as an excuse to spend the night with my mother-in-law and take a day off from school. I am not one to miss school. I have about 90 something sick days saved up. As all of you teachers out there know, it is harder to miss work than it is to be there. Sadly, I found out when I got home this afternoon that my sub never showed up. I hate that because I see those 17 babies as my own. It bothers me that their day was most likely quite stressful... Uncertainty to a young child is no bueno. There is no telling what they had to do.... I guess I will find out on Monday.

On a lighter note, until the BAD news, I had a GREAT day. I had entirely too much fun at Pottery Barn Kids. I lost track of how long we were there. A few weeks ago we painted the room a beautiful green called "lettuce." Then, my mother-in-law found an awesome green rug with off-white stars on it. Then, today my parents went all out for their first grandchild. They bought the cutest green gingham curtains and duvet covers, sheers with gingham stars, and blue gingham sheets. When it all arrives I will post pictures. Other than my serious lack of design talent - this is fun. Also, since I also am completely unable to make a decision on my own - thanks Jan and Mom for all the advice.

Finally, this week our social worker sent out surveys to our parents and friends who are giving us recommendations. I read the first one last night. She summed Ty up brilliantly. It is so interesting to read what other people see as your strengths and weaknesses. You all are so kind... This process has caused me to think about myself more than anything I have ever done. I wish all parents had to go through this....

5 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

You deserve a day to yourself, or a whole week! International adoption is not easy. If you don't take time out for yourself now, you'll regret it later when you have the little one at home! I'm going to soak my feet now!

Gretchen said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! I saw it on matthew and Suzanne's. I look forward to following you journey to Ethiopia!

anna and ben said...

hello, our girls are not twins, just very close in age (3.5 weeks). we asked for 2 related or unrelated girls. CHI doesn't allow this I know (we used them for our home study) for some reason (the adoption of two unrelated children). good luck!

Ginny said...

Found your blog while looking at other Kaz adoption blogs. Ethiopia is a country that I've recently become very interested so I hope you don't mind if I check in once and awhile.
Don't mind the silly comments you get people eventually come around. My brother's first comment when I said I was adopting was, "Why not just get a dog". Now he is my children's biggest hero and denies he ever said something so silly!

anna and ben said...

no problem at all about the mix up. with such a small gap people are always going to think they're twins. :) good luck on finishing your home study - i agree it's a really rewarding and intimidating process ALL parents should be required to go through! keep us in your prayers as we will be meeting our daughters on Christmas Day!